When thirst hits, most people turn to their kitchen faucet for a cold, refreshing beverage, unaware that they could be consuming more than just water. Yet, others stock up on the notorious bottled water, which is terrible for the environment and is often accompanied with its own health risks. When it comes to your drinking water, you must understand what’s floating around between the molecules and the dangers other particles could have on your body. While you assume you’re doing a good thing by staying hydrated, you could very well be poisoning yourself through copper toxicity.
The bottleless water and ice coolers and under-the-counter filtration systems from Artesian provide your home or office with pure, clean drinking water right at the tap. But what if you don’t have one hooked up? You could be taking in hard metals such as copper, which can lead to copper toxicity. Here is what you should know about the dangers of the copper lurking in your drinking water.
What is copper, and how does it get into my water?
Copper is a naturally occurring metal and is usually found in small amounts in natural spring water sources. It also occurs naturally in rocks, soil, plants, and animals. A small amount of copper is even essential to the human body and helps regulate certain bodily functions.
Copper is easily shaped and molded, which means it’s become an excellent resource for electrical wiring, plumbing, and household fixtures. Furthermore, copper is added to some agricultural fertilizers and manufacturing operations, which can taint underground water sources used by households and municipal authorities. This copper runoff can even find its way into streams and rivers, contaminating fishing and other food sources. Copper also tends to contaminate water sources when pipes corrode, leading to higher amounts which can cause copper toxicity.
How can I find out how much copper is in my water?
One of the most significant signs that you’ve got more copper in your water than you probably should is the corrosion of plumbing, faucets, utensils, and even appliances that tap into your water source. If you suspect that your water has a high copper trace, then it’s time to contact a water testing lab in your state. You can request a test on either your private well or tap water if it’s connected to a city water source. Your state’s certification officer will have a list of labs capable of testing for copper and other harsh metals in your water.
What are the symptoms of copper toxicity?
The human body requires a small amount of copper in the bloodstream. Normal levels are anywhere between 70-140 micrograms per deciliter. Copper helps develop tissues in your bones, joints, and ligaments, and you can generally get all that you need from the foods you eat. However, consuming more copper than your body needs can be dangerous and lead to copper toxicity. Here are some of the symptoms to be aware of:
- Passing out
- Blood in your vomit
- Black stools
- Abdominal cramps
- Yellowing skin or eyes
Copper toxicity can also cause you to feel irritable, depressed, overwhelmed, overexcited, or even cause you to have difficulty paying attention. If untreated or undiagnosed, copper toxicity can cause kidney failure, liver damage, heart failure, and even brain damage. That’s why knowing all of these signs of toxicity is essential.
Remove Excess Copper with a Bottleless Water Cooler
Copper and other heavy metals in your water are generally not preferable. Thankfully, Artesian bottleless water coolers come with a state-of-the-art filtration system that removes these heavy metals, sediments, and solvents. Removing all of these harmful metals can prevent copper toxicity and other water-related illnesses. When you install one of our water coolers in your home or office, you never have to worry about your drinking water’s metal levels. Artesian is all over the United States, and we’re ready to serve you. Visit our website to find a location nearest you!