Neon sign on wall Stay Hydrated

5 Hydration Myths to Ignore

Staying hydrated is just one of those things that we know is important, but we often kick it to the backseat. Water is essential for all life, including our own. Without proper hydration, the body experiences extreme thirst, dry skin, organ failure, and so many other health issues.

Hydration is important because our bodies really function [best with] adequate water balance,” says Shilpi Agarwal, MD. “Most organ functions require water in the right proportion to work – meaning your muscles, heart, and kidneys all need water and also need the body to be adequately hydrated in order to work properly.”

So, even though we know drinking clean water from your Artesian Bottleless Water water cooler is what is best for us, it still hasn’t prevented many of us from falling for those common hydration myths. So, here is a list of those myths that, in our opinion, you need to forget for good.

5 Hydration Myths to Ignore

1. Drink as much water as you can.

Did you know that it’s possible to overdo your water intake? It’s true! There’s a condition called hyponatremia (or water toxicity), which happens when you over-hydrate and the sodium levels in your body drop drastically, causing your cells to swell. Hyponatremia is a life-threatening condition, which we often see in marathon runners and sprinters, but it can happen to anyone. Other groups at risk of water toxicity include kidney failure, congestive heart failure, liver dysfunction, chronic severe vomiting and diarrhea, and Addison’s disease. So, while overhydration isn’t a major health concern, this is definitely one of those hydration myths to ignore.

2. Water is your only source of hydration.

We’ve all bought into hydration myths, especially the one that says pure, clean drinking water is the only source of hydration. However, we’re here to tell you that’s not the case. Water can come in all forms, including your food. It’s true! While nearly 80% of your fluid intake comes from your favorite Artesian bottleless water cooler, the other 20% comes from the foods you eat. Fruits high in water volume include melons, strawberries, blueberries, spinach, celery, and radishes. If you’re looking to supplement your water intake with food, then it’s time to head to the produce section of the grocery store.

3. You need eight glasses of water every day.

Just like other daily life goals, hydration goals vary from person to person. While you might have bought into one of the common hydration myths that you need to drink eight glasses of water every day, we’re here to tell you to forget about that now! Your water intake will vary depending on your weight, diet, exercise habits, gender, and age. Pregnancy also helps dictate how much water you’re consuming, as do certain medications. So, forget about drinking eight glasses of water every day, and try to aim for at least half your body weight in ounces.

4. You’ll lose weight by drinking more water.

We’ve all seen the fad diets and health kicks that tell you just to drink water, and you’ll drop 10 pounds in a week. While staying hydrated is great for flushing out toxins and boosting your metabolism, it won’t automatically be the weight-loss remedy, like many hydration myths suggest. Instead, think of drinking more water as a tool to help you stay on track with your diet. Drinking water before a meal can help you feel full, reducing your caloric intake. Drinking water throughout the day can also help curb those unwanted sweet cravings and keep you focused at work.

5. Dehydration happens during exercise or extreme heat exposure.

Yes, dehydration can happen during exercise or if you spend too much time in the sun. But, no, these two conditions do not occur quickly. During exercise and while out in the summer sun, your body sweats to stay cool. But to become utterly dehydrated from just a 60-minute cardio exercise or a few hours spent outdoors, you’d have to lose more than 2% of your body weight in water. That means a 200-pound man would have to lose 4 pounds of water – that’s a lot of water weight! If you remember to drink when you’re thirsty and to take a water bottle to the gym, you’ll be just fine.

Artesian Keeps You Hydrated

Debunking these hydration myths means you can forget about them and move on with your water intake. If you’re looking for a cleaner, safer alternative to those plastic water jugs and bottles, then you need a bottleless water and ice or a Reverse Osmosis system from Artesian Bottleless Water & Air Purification. We know just how to quench that thirst, so check out a location nearest you and get signed up for a free 7-day trial on any of our water coolers!

Photo credit: Unsplash